Devlog 10: All Good Things…

The biggest, and possibly most bittersweet event this week is our team took a majority vote, and decided against presenting to move forward with development. On the one hand it means, I can finally sort of take a break; but on the other hand it does feel like,  we put in all this work, just to not even try to pitch to move forward. Ultimately I understand and Agree with my teammates decision.

Anyway This week I created a rudimentary objective indicator system and implemented basic tutorial dialogs. Since this is essentially the last sprint I doubt I’ll get the chance to go back and refine these systems I’ve implemented in this final stretch. At least, not for a while. This is definitely a project I’d like to come back to and polish up; but it’ll be nice to take a bit of a break. It’s been an all-consuming part of my life for a few too many all-nighters.  I’ll be publishing a full postmortem in the coming weeks. As of right now I’m gonna get some much needed sleep


Devlog Week 9

Sorry For the Delay on this one! Crunchtime can make it hard to find time to write these dang entries.

Anyway I wanted to detail another major mechanic of A Belly of the Beast: Bullets! Or rather Antibodies.  A core part of the game is the usage of the first person movement mechanics to avoid and contend with a large number of onscreen dangers at once. In order to highlight and make the most of the high-agility nature of the movement system, which is by far the most polished and best feeling part of the game. The second reason the team settled on this for our combat system, was because we dont have a classically trained programmer on board the team. In fact our team is made up of just 2 game design majors and 2 game art majors. Since I was the member of the team with the most programming experience, and best working knowledge of the engine, I’ve been pulling double duty as both designer and programmer for the game. Because of that, I wanted to make sure The system I designed was also something I could realistically Implement given the scope of the project and structure of the team. So instead of having a small variety of “intelligent” reactive enemies, I thought that using a large number of very simple enemies could also be challenging and exciting. I looked to bullet hell games, and their use of complex patterns. Now, I’m very bad at bullet hell games, and I didn’t want to emulate the frustrating difficulty. I wanted the player to feel incredibly empowered, but frantic. This led to, as you’ve probably guessed if you, the turret system. But the Turrets needed to fire bullets. And that led to the bullet class. The bullet class is probably the worst coded piece of the game. I should have buckled down and build a manager class, among other things, but by the time I started realizing my mistakes, the project was to far along so I had to hack together a solution, and make each individual bullet as streamlined as I possibly could, while guarenteeing garbage collection wouldn’t miss them.  My results were, mixed, to say the least, but overall I’m pleased that I managed to squeeze as many possible frames out of it as i could in the time.

There are two main types of “bullets” homing ones, that have been demonstrated previously, and linear bullets, or bullets that just fly in one direction untill they hit a thing. I got them both working, and If it wasnt almost 10:20 I’d upload some gifs of them but I cant right now so mayber laterr.